Recipe of the week
Lemongrass and Lime Chicken
4* skin-off, boned chicken thigh
5 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
Zest of 2-3 limes (use microplane)
3 sticks lemongrass, (use microplane)
2 cloves garlic, peeled & grated (use microplane)
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 long red chillies, deseeded & rough chopped
Juice of 2 limes
Palm sugar to taste
Fish sauce to taste
1. Combine sliced lime leaves, lime zest, lemongrass & garlic with mortar & pestle . Once garlic has broken down add fish sauce & combine well
2. Mix chicken & paste in bowl. Allow to marinate for 1hr Minimum.
3. To make the dressing, pound chillies then add 1 tablespoon of lime juice with 1 tablespoon palm sugar and pound until a semi-smooth paste is formed. Then add a teaspoon fish sauce and lime juice at a time and continue until chilli isn’t overpowering.
4. Heat flat-plate of a BBQ or heavy based fry pan, add a little veg oil & add chicken pieces carefully to ensure they keep some marinate on.
5. Either seal pieces & finish in 180c oven or reduce heat under pan or flat-plate & continue to cook until juices from the thickest part of the thigh run clear, see note.
6. Rest chicken for 2-3 mins in a warm place.
7. Slice on the diagonal & spoon dressing over top.
8. Serve on salad, crispy fried noodle, rice, or on its own.
9. Also makes a great filling for rice paper rolls. Serves 4-6 as a starter
Note: using the tip of a sharp knife, make a small incision in the thickest part of the thigh & using the flat of the knife apply downward pressure till some juice come out, when juice is clear chicken is cooked