Recipe of the week
Braised Lamb Shanks with Tomato & olives
4 1 1/2-pound lamb shanks, trimmed
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 medium onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 large leek, white and light-green parts only, washed well, sliced into 1/4-inch half moons
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 cup dry red wine
2 cups chicken or lamb stock
4 ripe tomatoes, cut in ¼’s
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 dried bay leaves
1. Preheat oven to 200 c.
2. Season lamb all over with salt and pepper.
3. Place flour in a shallow bowl. Dredge lamb in flour, turning to coat evenly; shake off excess.
4. Heat oil and butter in a pan and cook until shanks are well browned (about five minutes per side.) Transfer shanks to a large plate; drain off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the pan.
5. Place pan over medium heat; add onions and leek and sauté until they are lightly browned, (about six minutes.)
6. Add garlic; cook four minutes more.
7. Add red wine; deglaze pan by scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon.
8. Return shanks to pan, and add chicken stock, tomatoes, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil; cover, and place in oven. Braise two hours and 30 minutes. Approx
9. Using a slotted spoon, transfer shanks and vegetables to a large bowl. Cover; set aside.
10. Using a ladle, skim fat from surface of cooking liquid; cook over medium heat until liquid is thickened, five to seven minutes.
11. Return shanks and vegetables to pan; cook until heated through.
12. Add pitted whole olives. Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper.
13. Serve with Polenta or mash potato, & green beans.